If you haven’t heard by now on Monday, August 21st the great American eclipse of 2017 will occur. This will be the first total eclipse for the lower 48 states since 1979, and it will last two hours and 38 minutes. This will happen when the moon will pass between the sun and the Earth. Depending on your location, you will notice the moon will completely or partially block the sun during daylight hours. What is extremely important to know before the big day arrives is how to best protect your eyes from the damaging effects when viewing this rare sight.
As stated by NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) experts, looking at the sun during the eclipse without protection — or inadequate protection, such as using regular sunglasses — can cause lasting vision problems.
“Even at maximum eclipse it is not safe to look directly at the sun,” Violet Mager, assistant professor of physics and astronomy at Penn State Wilkes-Barre, said in a statement. “Doing so could potentially cause permanent damage to your eyes.”
For those who want to purchase glasses, the astronomical society recommends using 12 manufacturers whose products have been checked by an accredited laboratory. The glasses should not allow anything through except light from the sun or something similarly bright, such as a bright halogen light bulb, according to the society.
The group has a list of vendors who are selling approved glasses at eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
These solar filter brands have been verified to meet the safety standards for directly viewing the sun:
- American Paper Optics (Eclipser)
- APM Telescopes (Sunfilter Glasses)
- Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold Film)
- Celestron (EclipSmart Glasses & Viewers)
- DayStar (Solar Glasses)
- Explore Scientific (Solar Eclipse Sun Catcher Glasses)
- Lunt Solar Systems (SUNsafe SUNglasses)
- Meade Instruments (EclipseView Glasses & Viewers)
- Rainbow Symphony (Eclipse Shades)
- Seymour Solar (Helios Glasses)
- Thousand Oaks Optical (Silver-Black Polymer & SolarLite)
- TSE 17 (Solar Filter Foil)
Mini Price Storage is looking forward to joining in the fun of this amazing event!